To measure the direction of motion and speed of a rotating shaft, you need the help of a rotary encoder. There are two main types of encoders to choose from. The first is the absolute encoder, and the other is an incremental encoder. Choosing the right encoder is important for your task. In this article, we will learn everything important about absolute encoders. To know more about the same you can check this page.
What is an absolute encoder?
The main purpose of an absolute encoder is to provide a unique data word or position value at every point of rotation. An absolute encoder can tell you the accurate position of the rotating shaft, right from the moment you switch it on. This is done with the help of a capacitive sensor or an optical magnetic which is used to read a unique code of a disc that is rotating with the shaft.
Advantages of using an absolute encoder
There are many advantages that you can reap from the use of an absolute encoder. Some of them include:
- High level of orientation accompanied by high resolution.
- It provides you with multi or single turn options.
- It also provides you with continuous non-stop position monitoring.
- It has the ability to detect motion along multiple axes.
- An absolute encoder is also useful in determining the accurate position of the object. Not just that, but it can also take over the available electronic data.
- It also provides you with better and faster recovery when there is a power or system failure.
Where can you use an absolute encoder?
Now that you are already aware of the advantages of an absolute encoder. Let’s take a look at the scenarios where you can put it to use.
One of the main applications of an absolute encoder is robotics, which is a fast expanding sector covering a variety of other areas.
- In the manufacturing industry, you will find robotic arms being used for welding, painting, assembly and other tasks.
- Other than the manufacturing industry, you will also find its use in the health care sector. Important tasks like remote surgery that requires great precision are performed by advanced robotic arms.
- You can also find the use of absolute encoders in home assistance jobs.
Absolute encoders prove to be very effective and budget-friendly when it comes to determining the exact position.
Why should you select an absolute encoder?
An absolute encoder has the ability to maintain the exact position of the shaft. You can get to know about the position as soon as you switch it on. There is no need for you to wait for homing to get complete.
Knowing the position of the shaft right in the beginning can be beneficial to you in many ways. With the use of an absolute encoder, you can get an accurate position in real-time. Systems that are equipped with an absolute encoder is known to be less susceptible to noise.
Thus, you can see how an absolute encoder makes a greater choice than its counterpart. Selecting the right encoder is very much essential for your position feedbacks.