Black mold is highly dangerous for humans and often misunderstood by homeowners. It is really important that you protect yourself and that you are aware of the dangers of black mold.

Understanding Black Mold

Black mold is basically a fungus type that is black or very dark green. It usually has a mildew-like, damp or musty smell. Usually, it grows on the surfaces that have much cellulose, like wood, paper, gypsum board or fibreboard. This is a mold type that prefers warm, damp environments. It can easily grow in various places when conditions are appropriate.

You will often find black mold thriving in areas that are humid, like laundry rooms, shower cubicles and bathrooms. It can also appear when there is an area that is flooding or a burst pipe. This is why so many tell you to contact professionals like Denver Gutter Installation Summit whenever repairs are needed for your gutters.

Black mold is not dangerous per se but it will release toxins that are harmful to humans. As you inhale the toxins, various health problems can appear. When you have an immune system that is weakened or a lung disease, the risk is much higher.

Black Mold Poisoning

If you breathe in black mold spores, black mold poisoning appears. The symptoms of such poisoning include coughing, runny nose, wheezing, red eyes, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, itchy skin, itchy throat, sore throat and nosebleeds.

The huge problem with black mold is that it can worsen symptoms you experience because of the existence of other respiratory conditions. As an example, if you have a respiratory allergy or asthma, symptoms do get worse or you end up affected by new ones like headaches, persistent coughing, frequent chest colds, allergic reactions, difficulty breathing, sinuses inflammation and general fatigue.

In some rare situations, black mold exposure can lead to severe symptoms like light sensitivity, memory losses, anxiety, cramps, general pain, unexplained weight gain and more.

Is Black Mold Dangerous For Your Health?


Although exposure to black mold is not that harmful in the short term, the truth is that long term exposure can be quite dangerous. This is especially the case when affected by respiratory conditions or there are extra risk factors present. Harm is not caused in healthy people affected by short-term exposure.

When you suffer from conditions like respiratory allergies, asthma or COPD, symptoms can be worsened and flare-ups can be triggered.

Diagnosing Black Mold Poisoning

The big problem with black mold poisoning is that the very common symptoms are very similar to those of numerous other respiratory disorders. Diagnosis becomes quite difficult because of this. When the doctor suspects black mold poisoning, mold levels have to be tested inside the home. Also, blood tests and allergy tests are sometimes needed.

Always analyze your home and be sure that you test mold as soon as you see it. If mold is found, the best thing that you can do is work with a professional to remove it. This will help you to avoid all the problems that are associated with potential black mold poisoning.