If your patio lighting is more than a few years old, chances are it’s time for an upgrade. Outdoor lighting has come a long way in recent years, and there are now myriad options to choose from when it comes to style, function, and energy efficiency. Not sure if your patio lighting is due for a refresh? Here are five signs that it might be time to replace those old fixtures:
1. The Color of the Light Has Faded
LED bulbs last longer and emit a brighter, more consistent illumination than traditional incandescent bulbs. If you notice that the glow coming from your patio fixtures has started to look dim or yellowed, it’s probably time to switch to LED.
Five Types of LED Bulbs for Upgrade
1) Standard LED Bulbs – These are the most basic type of LED bulb and are the most common. They emit a bright-white light and are the most energy-efficient option.
2) Dimmable LED Bulbs – If you want to be able to adjust the brightness of your patio lights, opt for a dimmable LED bulb. These bulbs can be used with most standard dimmers.
3) Color Changing LED Bulbs – Want to add some fun and flair to your outdoor approach? Consider color-changing LED bulbs. These bulbs can be set to any color you like, and some even have a built-in timer so they can automatically change colors at set intervals.
4) Vintage LED Filament Bulbs – Looking for a unique, retro look? Try vintage LED filament bulbs. These replicas of old-fashioned bulbs give a warm, nostalgic glow and are perfect for adding character to your outdoor space.
5) Solar-Powered LED Bulbs – If you want to go completely green with your patio illumination, solar-powered LED bulbs are the way to go. These bulbs use energy from the sun to power themselves, so you can enjoy bright gleams without using any electricity!
2. They’re Not Energy Efficient
If your patio still uses traditional incandescent bulbs, they’re probably not very energy efficient. LED bulbs use much less energy than their older counterparts, so upgrading to LED can help you save money on your energy bill each month. Not to mention, it’s better for the environment!
3. They Don’t Provide Enough Light
When choosing a new way to brighten your patio, be sure to take into account how much glow they will actually provide. You want fixtures that will give off enough illumination to help you see when you’re grilling out or entertaining guests on the patio, but not so much glare that it feels like you’re being interrogated by the FBI. Err on the side of too much light rather than too little—you can always dim the LEDs if needed.
Three Light Types Fits for Your Patio
1) Candles: Candles are a classic choice, and for good reason, they’re relatively inexpensive, easy to find, and can be used to create a variety of looks. Just be sure to use them safely, as open flames can be a hazard.
2) Lanterns: Lanterns come in all shapes and sizes, making them a versatile option. You can hang them from trees or poles, or set them directly on tables or the ground. If you go with battery-operated lanterns, you’ll have even more flexibility in terms of placement.
3) String: These are another popular choice. They’re often used for festive occasions like birthdays and holidays, but they can also be used to simply add a bit of extra sparkle to your regular gatherings.
Making a DIY installation on those lights might be tempting. But remember to always consult experts like Mike Marlow & Taylor Olberding team at Blingle! Omaha once you’ve decided to do an upgrade.
4. They Don’t Match Your Patio Furniture
Outdoor furniture comes in all sorts of styles, from classic wicker to modern metal, so there’s no excuse for having mismatched furniture and lighting on your patio. If your current fixtures clash with your furniture or décor, it might be time for an update. When shopping for new lights, look for fixtures that complement the style of your patio set (and vice versa).
5. You Just Want a Change
Sometimes you don’t need a specific reason to upgrade your outdoor lighting; you just want something different! If you’re bored with your current setup or looking for a way to refresh your patio without spending a lot of money, replacing your old fixtures with new ones is a great solution.
So there you have it—five signs that it might be time to replace your old patio lights. Whether they’re outdated, damaged, dirty, or just plain boring, there are plenty of reasons to consider upgrading your outdoor approach this year. And with so many stylish options available on the market today—not to mention the added benefits of energy efficiency and increased security—there’s really no reason not to!