Marriage counseling is for those who seek to improve and mend their relationship. Proper counseling can really make a difference in your marriage.
Marriage is a sacred bond between two people. It cannot work properly if both people do not put some effort in. As years go by love can fade and leave you in an overwhelmed state. To avoid this fate you need to put some extra effort into your relationship. Just like how a plant cannot live without water and light, a relationship cannot last without love and support. If you are struggling with your marriage and want to improve it, marriage counseling can help you greatly.
What Is Marriage Counseling?: Just like traditional counseling a marriage counselor’s job is to guide you and your partner while you discuss and solve your own problems. A marriage counselor is a trained professional who is there to listen to you. So, do not be worried or ashamed. Even today a lot of people find difficult to ask for help. As a result, anxiety, and depression rates are going up. When you first get married your marriage is something fragile and precious. As years go by your love and respect for each other increases and your marriage becomes stronger. But sometimes problems may arise and you don’t know how to solve them and that causes tension between you and your partner. In a situation like this feel free to see a marriage counselor. A good marriage counselor will be able to help you and guide you. So that you and your partner can have a healthy and loving marriage.
Positive Aspects of Marriage Counseling:
- The number one benefit you get a neutral third opinion about your relationship. Sometimes we don’t even realize that we are doing something wrong and we get angry if our spouse points it out. But a counselor can express their opinion professionally and frankly which helps to clear things up. A good marriage counselor does not point a finger or blames anyone. They make their clients comfortable and listens to both sides before giving any opinion.
- Communication is the key to any good relationship. But often couples cannot communicate properly with each other. A marriage counselor urges and helps a couple to communicate with each other, to say how they really feel. A marriage without trust is like a tree without roots. So, to ensure the longevity of your marriage make sure that you and your partner still trust each other. If you want to make your bond stronger or if you want to make some minor changes in your relationship, don’t be afraid to consult a marriage counselor. Just because you are seeing a marriage counselor doesn’t mean that your marriage is failing. A lot of people go to a marriage counselor because they want a healthier and happier marriage.
- Some people find change very difficult and some people don’t want to change but change is a natural thing for humans. When you are married for many years, you get used to them. If your partner changes suddenly it may be difficult for you to deal with that. On the other hand, if your partner has some bad habit( like- smoking, drinking or being late) and you want them to change but they are unable to change or don’t want to. It must be difficult for you to handle that and you must be tired of all the excuses. In a situation like this if you want to continue your relationship it may be a good idea to see a marriage counselor. A counselor will be able to point out one’s fault in a mature and helpful way and they will also be able to guide you through your toughest time.
- Most people do not go to a marriage counselor with a minor problem. They go because their marriage is failing. In fact, one- fourth of the people who go to marriage counselors has already decided to get a divorce. The counseling is just a formality. But marriage counselors are able to save a lot of marriages too. That is why people still go to a marriage counselor. So, no matter how big the problem is, feel free to go to a marriage counselor in order to save your marriage.
Negative Aspects of Marriage Counseling:
- Marriage counseling can be quite expensive. Most insurance companies do not cover marriage counseling. So, if you want your relationship to be fixed, you have to spend some money. If you are not solvent then managing extra money for marriage counseling can be a difficult task for you.
- Counseling does not show instant results. You and your partner have to work hard to mend your relationship. There is no quick fix. Remember that every relationship needs commitment.
- Marriage counselors tend to talk about past traumas and other personal things in order to truly understand your relationship. Many people have difficulty talking about their personal matter with other people but if you truly want to reap the benefit of marriage counseling you have to be honest with your counselor.
- Not all marriage counselors are equal. Some are more qualified and professional than others. To ensure best results do some research before going to a marriage counselor and after some sessions if you don’t like your counselor do not hesitate to find someone else. If you are not comfortable with your counselor you are not going to get the best results.
Conclusion: There is nothing in this world without mixed blessings and marriage counseling is no different. It has both positive and negative effects depending on how it is used. If you are going through some marital problems and you want to try marriage counseling, do a lot of research before making any decision. Remember, a counselor can only guide you, you and your partner have to discuss and solve your problems by yourself. Commitment and care can help your marriage repair.