Your house will never be complete without a roof. Aside from providing aesthetic value to your house, a roof can also guarantee that everyone living inside will be safe during harsh weather conditions. It can also help your family live healthily as a roof can protect them from different kinds of bacteria. However, for you and your family to enjoy these benefits, your roof should be well-maintained. It’s not enough that you only have a roof for the sake of having one. This is the reason why you’ll be needing the services of a professional roofer at some point in your life.
Because of the location of your roof, constantly checking its condition can become a struggle. And oftentimes, can pose serious safety hazards. Fortunately, some of the signs that tell you your roof needs to be repaired by a professional roofer aren’t just visible outside; some of these can be seen in different parts of your house. To drive the point home, pay attention to these signs:
- It’s raining indoors: Rain should be present outside your house, not in. When you start to notice leaks and dripping water especially when it’s raining hard, it’s a telltale sign that you need the help of a professional roofer. You’re experiencing leaks because your roof has probably lost its strength or has allowed moisture to seep in – nothing good can come from that, right? And leaks doesn’t come better on their own, it only gets worst.
- There are stains inside the walls: Roof leaks don’t need to come from the roof. Roof leaks can also be seen in walls inside your home because water can pass through different sides of your house. Any stains on the walls or rust in exposed metal means your roof has problems that need to be fixed.
- Your roof is old: The age of your roof should also be a consideration of whether or not you need the help of a professional roofer. Your roof can get old, and once it reaches the end of its lifespan, it can no longer give you the benefits you once enjoyed. If your roof was installed twenty years ago, it’s a good time to start planning for a roof replacement. While some roof may have longer or shorter lifespan, most will be useful for 20-25 years after installation.
- Everyone in the neighborhood is getting new roofs: If you’re living in a neighborhood with houses built around the same time, consider what other homeowners are doing. If most of them are having their roofs replaced, you should probably be doing the same thing. You’re living in the same location which means that your roof went through the same weather conditions. If their roof is damaged, yours could be too.
- Your roof is missing a lot of shingles: Shingles are important components as these give strength and protect your roof from extreme heat and cold. When these shingles are missing, your roof can become weak and can be susceptible to more damage. And while you can always replace missing shingles on your own, it’s not always the best choice. Even if these shingles are made from the same size and material, the old ones were weathered naturally. This means that even if you were able to patch up the shingles together, not every shingle can have the same strength and durability. A professional roofer can provide better solutions for missing shingles – ones which will last long-term and will protect your roof from further damage.
- Shingles are brittle and curling up: Shingles which are brittle and curling up are a sign of aging. Continually using these in your roof will be useless because chances are, these shingles are already worn out and weak. Your shingles might still be in your roof, but these can no longer serve its purpose. Don’t let these get worse and call for a professional roofer like https://hprtexas.com/ right away.
- Your roof has become home to some animals: Out of the most common habitats animals can possibly live in, your roof is not one of them. If you start hearing and seeing squirrels and other animals living inside your roof, it’s a sign that a roof repair is needed. These animals need a good source of light and moisture to live – things which might already be present in your roof.
Seeing any of these signs in your house should be enough to prompt you to call a professional roofer. Don’t wait for “another sign” and think that the first one will actually go away. Having this kind of mindset can only result in more costs, hassles and fixing time.
Knowledge Is Power
Regardless of how big or small your house is, a roof is an essential component. Without it, your home will never serve its purpose, especially towards your family. And as a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that you’re using a roof that’s fully functional. This can be a tedious task, but everything will become easier once you know what to look for. And when you’re thinking about having your roof repaired by professional roofers, use this article as your guide. You’ll come up with better decisions if you’re well-informed.
Louis Stevenson is a writer who occasionally contributes to High Performance Restoration. He has a particular passion for making sure his readers are up to speed with whatever topic he has to write about. This allows him to offer unique perspectives to his readers. He enjoys a warm cup of coffee and a good book during his free time.